Tuesday, August 26, 2014

It Was Dangerous and a Lot of Fun

So here we are on Saturday night, the four Musketeers’, brainstorming, talking and reminiscing about the first time we felt an impression that Uganda was it. We talked late into the night about why we were so drawn to these people, this place and why it was on our hearts.

I know in my case I had never done a missions trip before 2011; I was always too busy at work when Mary and my daughter’s would fly down to Arizona or Mexico to at the orphanages. 

I don't know if you can count the time about ten years ago when my best friends called me and said they were putting together a posse to drive down to Mississippi. 

Hurricane Katrina had just hit and it was a disaster down there. We were just a loose group of guy’s from the church, with no backers or financial support, who just piled into three vans and trailers to do what we could. Because I have forty years’ experience as an arborist we stacked the trailers up with ropes and chainsaws. 

We hooked up with Samaritans Purse down in Biloxi and cut trees off of houses and covered roofs with blue traps to keep the weather out. We were down there for a week or two. I don't really know if that qualifies as a “mission’s trip” in the traditional sense of the word, but it was dangerous and it was a lot of fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment